Wednesday, July 07, 2010

"The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Fairies" - By Ammi-Joan Paquette

The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Fairies
By Ammi-Joan Paquette
Illustrated by Christa Ungner
E PAQU (Pflu Library)
PAQ (RR Library)
Loved it! and just the thing to read to spark those little minds to imagining when faced with long lazy summer days. Who could be board when they have fairies to find? And there’s no better place to start then your own backyard. I really loved this book cause it was like sharing my own personal childhood memories and the ways I use to see things when I was reading it to my daughter. It’s very simple reading, very short. But I think it’s simple message gets little minds imagining and seeing things differently, which I believe to be so important!. It’s all about these kids who go here and there and either finding little details that prove fairies were near by, or the kids do little things to make it the kind of place a fairy would want to visit and play and how the kids just hope to get a look at them. I really enjoyed the art work as well. It’s actually photographs, of real kids and nature, sometimes cut out and compiled one on top of the other, like a collage, but the fairies themselves are actually drawings, and then placed on top of the photographs to fit in with their surroundings. At fist when I was reading the book I thought “oh, what a shame, they should have taken pictures of real people and then place them in the pictures to make it all look more realistic”. But as I read, I’m actually very happy that they illustrated it the way they did. This way I think it is more true to the way kids DO see fairies. When kids, “see” fairies, I don’t think they see them to be real enough where if they were to capture it in a picture, it would look like a person. I think they see them the way, the child would illustrate them. kind of like when you write, or read in your mind, it’s your voice you here in your mind, does that make since? Anyhow, I thought the artwork was great, and I love the little fairy-finding details the kids put into the story. Wonderful book. I think girls will really love this book most of all. Be sure to look really hard in the pictures, you might see a fairy hiding, or just a part of one, like a hand reaching up thru the grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment