Wednesday, August 04, 2010

“Don’t Read This Book!” – By Jill Lewis & Illustrated by Deborah Allwright

“Don’t Read This Book!”
By Jill Lewis
Illustrated by Deborah Allwright

When I first saw the title, I thought of the more commonly known book “the monster at the end of the book” by Sesame Street. I loved the Sesame Street book as a kid, so I thought this would be a big hit… not so much. It was ok, but the funny moments when the King directs the reader to “stop reading this book!” wasn’t the main focus of the book, he only would so often address the read as such, if he HAD been focusing on preventing the reader on every page not to read the book (like the Sesame Street book does) I think it would have been a lot more fun to read. But this book is about a King who ordered a new bed-time story to be written, and bits and parts of it are missing. So you follow the king and his writer to put the story together. They end up writing the story of “the Princess and the Pea”, and you can read a short version of the story at the end of the book. Over all, it was an ok book, but my favorite parts were when the king talked to the reader and I just wish there was more of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment