
“Don’t Be Afraid Little Pip”
By Karma Wilson
Illustrated by Jane Chapman
E WILS (Pflu Library)
WIL (RR Library)
Cute. If you’ve got a penguin lover in the family, I think they would like this book.
Now I kind of have mixed feelings about the book.
On one hand I felt like the author didn’t really come up with a new concept as far as the main story goes and how the character is portrayed. It’s about a little penguin (Pip – who is actually a GIRL), she blue (the color, not the emotion) to make her different from other penguins… that’s been done before, and she wants to fly (a common penguin dilemma).
On the plus side, (and this is kind of a big one in my book) there are places in the book where characters sing out a little song to Pip about the “way things are”, or “how to do something”. I really like this attribute because I remember as a kid, one of my favorite books (Loud Mouse – you should check it out if you haven’t read it) have times when the mother sang advise to her kids. And while there is no sheet music to either one of these books, the mother reading the book in put into a position to get really creative and really fast. And it’s so funny, but no matter how YOUR mother ends up singing those melodies to the songs in those books, it stays with you the rest of your life, so that every time you read that book, you mimic the way you own mother use to read/sing it to you. And that is something that is all of your own. No one else will read/sing it the same way. I think it’s a GREAT and personal moment that bonds the kids and moms when they read books like that. So on that note, I think you really SHOULD read this book with your kids!
The story takes place on the 1st day of swimming lessons for the young penguins. Everyone is excited to swim except Pip. She a little scared of what might be down there in the big dark ocean, and she thinks, “why not learn to FLY instead of SWIMMING?”. So she leaves the group and starts asking for flying tips from birds in the area. Eventually, and not even on purpose, she gets in the water, and learns that penguins DO fly, it’s just in the ocean and not the air. I liked this book, it wasn’t awesome, but I did like it.
By Karma Wilson
Illustrated by Jane Chapman
E WILS (Pflu Library)
WIL (RR Library)
Cute. If you’ve got a penguin lover in the family, I think they would like this book.
Now I kind of have mixed feelings about the book.
On one hand I felt like the author didn’t really come up with a new concept as far as the main story goes and how the character is portrayed. It’s about a little penguin (Pip – who is actually a GIRL), she blue (the color, not the emotion) to make her different from other penguins… that’s been done before, and she wants to fly (a common penguin dilemma).
On the plus side, (and this is kind of a big one in my book) there are places in the book where characters sing out a little song to Pip about the “way things are”, or “how to do something”. I really like this attribute because I remember as a kid, one of my favorite books (Loud Mouse – you should check it out if you haven’t read it) have times when the mother sang advise to her kids. And while there is no sheet music to either one of these books, the mother reading the book in put into a position to get really creative and really fast. And it’s so funny, but no matter how YOUR mother ends up singing those melodies to the songs in those books, it stays with you the rest of your life, so that every time you read that book, you mimic the way you own mother use to read/sing it to you. And that is something that is all of your own. No one else will read/sing it the same way. I think it’s a GREAT and personal moment that bonds the kids and moms when they read books like that. So on that note, I think you really SHOULD read this book with your kids!
The story takes place on the 1st day of swimming lessons for the young penguins. Everyone is excited to swim except Pip. She a little scared of what might be down there in the big dark ocean, and she thinks, “why not learn to FLY instead of SWIMMING?”. So she leaves the group and starts asking for flying tips from birds in the area. Eventually, and not even on purpose, she gets in the water, and learns that penguins DO fly, it’s just in the ocean and not the air. I liked this book, it wasn’t awesome, but I did like it.
No comments:
Post a Comment