Wednesday, August 04, 2010

“The Sweetest One of All” – By Jean Little & Illustrated by Marisol Sarrazin

“The Sweetest One of All”
By Jean Little
Illustrated by Marisol Sarrazin

I did not like this book like I thought I would. When I saw the title and cover, I thought it would be all about this one little lamb and how his mommy loved him more that anything, (kind of like “Guess How Much I love you”) but it wasn’t.
This starts off with a little lamb asking his mommy “who are you” and then asks “who am I?” and the mommy sheep replies “I’m your mom, and you are the sweetest little lamb in the land”, you turn the page where the sheep meet the a cow. The cow says “oh I wish I could have a lamb like that” and the mommy sheep says “oh no you don’t, you want a cafe!”, and then you turn the page and then all of a sudden the cow is a mom and her baby cafe asks her all the same questions the lamb did, and the mommy cow replies pretty much the same way… then you turn the page and go on and on in this pattern until you’ve gone thru all the animals on the farm.
I found it boring and a little awkward how the animals became moms the next page when they didn’t even look pregnant the page before. It’s just a little thing, but if you were to sit down and read it, you might get what I’m saying… it’s just a little weird. Didn’t care for it. if it were a story that focused on any one mother/kid-set of animals and then they went around the farm learning about the other type of baby animals out there, I think it would have been a much better book to read.
I mean, if this books subliminal message is, don’t compare your kids, you get what you get and you will love them more than the other kids out there… then I guess it’s ok, and I get it… but still it’s just a little boring in reading it I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment